(1) a state of physical ease and freedom from pain or constraint
(2) a state or situation in which you are relaxed and do not have any physically unpleasant feelings caused by pain
(3) console, relieve, encourage, soothe assuaging sorrow, worry, discomfort, or pain
(4) soothe in distress or sorrow; ease the misery or grief of; bring consolation or hope to
(5) to give a sense of ease to
All scripture is from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless noted otherwise. Permission on section title page.
Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.
Psalms 119:50 (CEV)
When I am hurting, I find comfort in your promise that leads to life.
Sing for joy, O heavens! Rejoice, O earth! Burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on them in their suffering.
I, yes I, am the one who comforts you.
I will comfort those who mourn (19) bringing words of praise to their lips..
He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted.
2 Corinthians 1:3
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:4
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
2 Corinthians 1:5
For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.
2 Thessalonians 2:16
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope...